I made this twice in a week for visiting friends. It was a huge hit. So easy, I know people say its so easy to make but this really is. Unless you make the crust from scratch which does take some time. I say buy it from your grocery.There are now gluten free crusts in the health food store too. You can also make it without a crust at all. Also you can use egg whites instead of whole eggs and you can leave out the milk or cream. I have made it without the cream and it still turned out great. Just add more eggs to make up for the volume. One of the tarts I used 10 ounces of goat cheese and the other I just used 4 ounces but used milk to make the volume.
1 Prepared Pie crust 9 inch
4-8 ounces of goat cheese(not Feta)
3 large leeks
2 Large Eggs or 3 small eggs
4 ounces of cream light or whipping cream
1 4-6 ounce jar fig jam
Herbs your choice
Thaw pre made pie crust, pat into tart pan, shaping the edges into the ridges. prick shell with fork a few times.
Lay parchment paper over raw crust, fill with dried beans or pie weights.
Bake 350 for 20 minutes, remove from oven let beans cool, remove beans and paper. bake 10 more minutes until crust is golden. Let cool
Fill with egg mixture.
- Next slice white part of leeks and part of the green into thin rings, rinse several times, leeks are usually full of sand and grit. Cook the leeks in butter or olive oil until tender or caramelized. You can add a teaspoon of raw sugar to help caramelize leeks but it’s not necessary.
- Remove and drain on paper towel. Add to baked pie crust
- Add eggs, cream, goat cheese, herbs and spices to blender, blend until it looks creamy.
- Distribute the cooked leeks in the bottom of the shell
- Pour mixture into baked pie or tart crust over the leeks